January 10, 2020 Updates
Australia’s recent bushfires are the worst in the country's history. So far, these fires have burned 15 million acres across the continent. Many of the nearly 70 fires have raged completely out of control — and are expected to continue for the next few months. Record-setting temperatures as high as 120 degrees are making the situation worse.
PUERTO RICO EARTHQUAKES
A number of small earthquakes in late December culminated in a series of major temblors, peaking with a magnitude 6.5 quake. According to the island’s governor, this is the biggest earthquake they’ve experienced in 100 years. News outlets are reporting that more than two-thirds of Puerto Rico does not currently have electricity and that damaged buildings have forced thousands to sleep outside and in parking lots.
- Convoy of Hope is responding with disaster relief supplies that include solar lanterns, blankets, tarps, and hygiene kits.
- More than 24,000 pounds of food has been delivered to the Convoy of Hope warehouse in Puerto Rico for distribution.
- 48,500 meals and 500 snack packs were packed and will be distributed throughout the affected areas.
- In addition to this distribution, churches have picked up disaster relief supplies from the COH warehouse to provide supplies to impacted areas.
- Please join us in praying for the people of Puerto Rico and our team members.